Lewes 1 Guernsey 0

Lewes 1 - 0 Guernsey
01 Oct 2016 - 15:00The Dripping Pan

A second-half goal from Jamie Brotherton helped Lewes to their third consecutive win after an impressive performance against Guernsey at the Pan reports Tom Harper.

Darren Freeman named an unchanged side from the midweek victory at Whyteleafe, but was able to include Lloyd Cotton and Duncan Culley on the bench on their return from injury.

Lewes made a bright start and could have been ahead inside the opening few minutes, when Chris Tardif in the Guernsey goal was forced into a smart save to push a James Hammond header from a Jack Dixon free-kick round the post.  The Rooks continued to see more of the ball as the half progressed, with the impressive Charlie Coppola a constant threat down the right.

They could have taken the lead through Dixon midway through the half, but the midfielder could only head a Steve Brinkhurst cross wide after he was left unmarked in the penalty area.

Guernsey were growing into the game though, and saw Marc McGrath draw a save from Chris Winterton from close range before missing the target with an effort from a Simon Geall cut-back just minutes later.  Lewes should have opened the scoring just before half-time, as Dixon shot just wide from the inside the area after the visitor’s defence had been unable to clear a Matthew George cross from the left.

The Rooks started the second half on the front foot, with Arinse Uade latching onto a Brotherton through-ball and rounding Tardiff, before seeing his effort blocked by the recovering goalkeeper and hooked off the line by a defender.

Lewes made their pressure count five minutes after the restart through Brotherton, who was in the right place at the right time to finish from close range after one of several impressive runs down the right by Coppola.

Guernsey responded well to falling behind, and saw Craig Young have a half-volley from just inside the area deflected wide of the far post.  From the resulting corner, McGrath sent in a dangerous in-swinging delivery from the left that came back off the inside of the far post and was eventually cleared off the line.

Despite this, the Rooks were playing some of their best football of the season, and saw Brotherton drag an effort wide after latching onto a Dixon through-ball, before Lloyd Harrington volleyed a Brinkhurst cross just wide of the same post minutes later.

Lewes continued to push for a second goal, with substitute Duncan Culley trying to round Tardiff after being played in by James Hammond, but seeing the goalkeeper get a hand to the ball and pushing the ball behind for a corner.

Dixon was the next player to go close for the Rooks, as he sent a powerful effort from the edge of the area over the crossbar after being teed up by Coppola at the end of an incisive counter-attack.

Lewes continued to press in the closing stages, with Culley missing the target with a free header at the post after being picked out with a cross from fellow substitute Alex Laing.  Guernsey had spent most of the second half stuck in their own half, but enjoyed more of the play during the final few minutes as they looked to find an unlikely equaliser.

The visitors came close to equalising through McGrath, who capitalised on some uncertain defending from Stacey Freeman but saw Winterton get a hand to his attempted lob.

They had an even better chance to draw level in stoppage time, as Jacob Fallaize headed a long ball forward towards goal, but prolific striker Ross Allen was only able to hit the side-netting with his close-range effort.

Lewes saw out the final minutes of injury time relatively comfortably to secure another impressive win, and record back-to-back clean sheets for the first time this season.

Lewes: Winterton, Brinkhurst, George, Harrington, Freeman, Vickers, Uade (Laing 76), Hammond (Cotton 87), Brotherton (Culley 63), Dixon, Coppola.

Unused Subs: Conlon, McCreadie.

Booked: Dixon.

Guernsey: Tardif, Geall (Domaille 70), Dodd, Steel, Le Provost, McGrath, Rihoy, Black, Heaume (Dodds 11, Fallaize 78), Allen, Young.

Unused Subs: None.

Booked: McGrath.

Referee: Mike Desborough

Attendance: 521