Lewes 2 Greenwich Borough 4

Lewes 2 - 4 Greenwich Borough
04 Oct 2016 - 19:45The Dripping Pan

A hard-working performance was not enough for Lewes to continue their winning streak, as a dominant first-half display from an impressive Greenwich Borough side saw the Rooks fall to a 4-2 defeat at the Pan reports Tom Harper.

Darren Freeman named the same side for the third game running after the recent good results against Whyteleafe and Guernsey.

Greenwich had won their last eight league games coming into this one, and took the lead after just three minutes through Rob Denness, who collected a through-ball from Jake Britnell and finished calmly past Chris Winterton.

The visitors were enjoying all the possession during the opening stages saw Mohamed Eisa miss the target with only Winterton to beat before forcing the Rook’s goalkeeper into a smart save with an effort from the edge of the area.

Greenwich made their dominance count by doubling their lead after just 12 minutes. Denness was the scorer, as he found the net with a close-range finish from a Britnell cut-back after Winterton had only been able to parry a long-range effort from Eisa.

Lewes were finding it difficult to get out of their own half against arguably the best side they have faced this season, with Craig Holloway in the visitor’s goal virtually untroubled as the half progressed.

The best goalscoring opportunities were continuing to fall to Greenwich, who saw both Eisa and Charlie MacDonald miss the target with close-range efforts as they looked to increase their lead further.

The visitors were able to find a third goal in the final minute of the first half, as Denness was given time and space to send a composed finish across Winterton and into the far corner to complete his hat-trick after Lewes had been unable to clear a corner.

After spending most of the first half defending their own penalty area, Lewes made a bright start to the second and nearly pulled a goal back within minutes of the restart as a Steve Brinkhurst cross was sliced just wide of his own goal by Greenwich defender Danny Fitzsimons.

The introduction of striker Duncan Culley from the bench just before the hour gave the Rooks more of a physical presence up front, and the striker on loan from Whitehawk pulled a goal back four minutes after coming on, as he sent a glancing header from a Charlie Coppola cross past Holloway and into the bottom corner.

Unfortunately for Lewes, any chance of an unlikely comeback was effectively ended just two minutes later, as Luis Morrison was left unmarked at the far post to head a dubiously-awarded free-kick from Britnell past Winterton.

The Rooks continued to work hard to try and find a way back into the game and reduced the deficit to two goals with ten minutes remaining, as Coppola was on hand to bundle the ball home from close range after Holloway had only been able to parry a low strike from James Hammond.

Despite their best efforts, Lewes were unable to test the Greenwich defence during the closing stages and find a third goal that would have led to a nervy finish for the visitors.

The Rooks will hope to put this result behind them and return to winning ways when they host Ryman North side Tilbury in the FA Trophy preliminary round on Saturday, kick-off at 3pm.

Lewes: Winterton, Brinkhurst, George, Harrington (Cotton – 80 mins), Freeman, Vickers, Uade (Culley – 57 mins), Hammond, Brotherton (Laing – 63 mins), Dixon, Coppola

Subs not used: Conlon, McCreadie

Booked: Cotton, Vickers

Greenwich Borough: Holloway, Sweeney, Fitzsimons, Morrison, Macdonald, Denness, Eisa, Pritchard, Wilson, Clark

Subs not used: Young, Waritay, Mpuigi, Alexander, Goring

Booked: Pritchard, Britnell, Sweeney

Attendance: 294