Lewes 3 Godalming Town 0

Lewes 3 - 0 Godalming Town
17 Dec 2016 - 15:00The Dripping Pan

Lewes coasted to an easy win over bottom of the table Godalming Town without really getting out of second gear reports Stuart Fuller.

With Jack Dixon and Lloyd Harrington both serving suspensions, Stacey Freeman and Lloyd Cotton still injured, the strong spine of the team was absent but Darren Freeman was able to bring in Alex Malins for his first start in two months.  Dean Stewart-Hunter, impressive on his debut last week at East Grinstead Town, retained his place at right-back.  Also added to the squad was new loan signing from Wimbledon Egli Kaja.

The Rooks started positively with Stephen Okoh always looking lively whilst Ronnie Conlon relishing his more advanced role thanks to the fine job as the holding midfielder by Gus Sow.  It took ten minutes for the Godalming keeper to be called into action, making a smart save from Jonté Smith but three minutes later he was powerless to stop The Rooks taking the Lenard when Jonté held the ball up superbly then played the ball into Okoh who buried the ball into the far corner.

The rest of the half saw the Rooks struggle to create any further chances with the visitors doing a good job of closing down any threat although at the other end Chris Winterton was almost a spectator.

Having come from behind to win at Walton Casuals on Wednesday, Godalming came out refreshed and looked to pressure the Lewes defence.  Despite an early shot from Charlie Coppola that hit the outside of the post, the visitors looked the more comfortable in the opening exchanges.  However, they were undone by the Rooks second goal in the 51st minute when James Hammond won a 50/50 on the edge of his own box and sent Ronnie Conlon through on the right.  The young midfielder powered forward, drew two defenders and squared it to Jonté Smith to score one of the easiest of goals.

The two-goal cushion saw Darren introduce new loaned Egli Kaja and he was involved in the Lewes third goal seven minutes later when he beat his man on the right and crossed to the far post where Stephen Okoh was unmarked.  He controlled the ball before shooting low at the near post which wrong footed the Godalming keeper Daly and the ball flew in off the near post.

The final twenty minutes saw the Rooks defence hold strong, denying the visitors any shots on goal and securing three points in their final league game before Christmas in front of the second highest crowd in the Ryman League South.

Thoughts turn to the Sussex Senior Cup now with our next game being the visit of Whitehawk on Tuesday, kick off being 7:45pm.

Lewes: Winterton, Brinkhurst, George, Sow, Stewart-Hunter, Marlins, Okoh, Hammond, Smith (Kealy- 74 mins), Conlon (Brotherton – 69 mins), Coppola (Kaja – 61 mins)

Unused Subs: Uade, Whitmore

Booked: Conlon

Godalming Town: Daly, Bailey, Mason (Attwood – 77 mins), Wales, Musgrove, Battie, Efambe (Abdellah – 62 mins), Zidyana (Brown – 73 mins), Price, Mazzone, Lopez

Sub not used: Males

Booked: Wales

Attendance: 444