Lewes 0 Sevenoaks Town 0

Lewes 0 - 0 Sevenoaks Town
03 Sep 2016 - 15:00The Dripping Pan, Lewes

A game of few chances at the Pan saw Lewes fail to break down a well-organised, hard-working Sevenoaks side and means the Rooks face a trip to Kent for a replay on Wednesday after this FA Cup first qualifying round tie ended in a stalemate reports Tom Harper.

Darren Freeman made three changes to the side that lost 3-0 at Horsham on Bank Holiday Monday, with Tom Vickers, Alex Laing and Dan Perry replacing Josh Street, Charlie Coppola and Lloyd Dawes in the starting line-up.

It took Lewes 25 minutes to create their first clear-cut opportunity, as Alex Malins saw his powerful header from a Josh Jones corner cleared off the line, with Afolabi Coker sending his effort on the rebound straight at Oshane Brown in the Sevenoaks goal.

The Rooks were dealt a blow just after the half-hour, as Perry was stretchered off with what appeared to be a head injury.

After a lengthy stoppage, the forward was replaced by Coppola. This change saw Laing move into the centre after starting the game on the right, with Coppola playing on the wing.

Coppola came close to giving Lewes the lead just before the break, but saw his well-struck half-volley from just inside the area pushed wide by Brown.

Sevenoaks had proved tough to break down during the first half and came close to taking the lead with their first real chance of the game just after the restart, as Corey Holder beat Chris Winterton to a deep free-kick but could only guide his header over the bar.

The Rooks continued to enjoy the majority of possession and should have taken the lead just after the hour through Laing, who was unable to connect sufficiently with a Matthew George cut-back just a few yards from goal after good play down the left.

The visitors were coming into the game more themselves though, and saw captain Chris Edwards hit the side-netting with a powerful effort from the edge of the area.

The introduction of Jamie Brotherton for his debut with just under 20 minutes remaining immediately gave Lewes more of a threat going forward, but the visitors continued to look relatively comfortable defensively.

Sevenoaks nearly took the lead in the closing stages, with Winterton forced into a smart save to keep out a header from substitute Andy Constable.

The Rooks came close to scoring what could well have been the winner themselves minutes later, as substitute Callum Kealy evaded a couple of challenges before seeing his low effort pushed behind by Brown at his near post.

The final chance of the game fell to Sevenoaks though, as Joe Bingham won the ball in midfield and sent a curling effort from the edge of the area just wide with Winterton beaten.

Lewes will have another opportunity to progress into the second qualifying round of the FA Cup when they travel to Sevenoaks for the replay on Wednesday, kick-off at 7.45pm.

Lewes: Winterton, Brinkhurst, George, Vickers (Brotherton 70), Coker, Malins, Laing (Kealy 83), Cotton, Perry (Coppola 35), Dixon, Jones.

Unused Subs: Dawes, Stroomberg, Dramis, Freeman.

Booked: None.

Sevenoaks Town: Brown, Edwards, Benbow, Stock, Miles, Holder, Carnegie, Bingham, Marsh (Constable 68), Walker (Gnahore 57), McCann.

Unused Subs: Mendiha, Lord, Rogers, Brown, Camacho.

Booked: None.

Referee: Jamaal Horne

Attendance: 490