Horsham 3 Lewes 0

Horsham 3 - 0 Lewes
29 Aug 2016 - 15:00Goring Mead

A disappointing performance saw ten-man Lewes fall to a 3-0 defeat to local rivals Horsham on an afternoon to forget for the Rooks in West Sussex reports Tom Harper

Darren Freeman made two changes to the side that had beaten Chatham 2-0 on Saturday, with Josh Street and Charlie Coppola replacing Tom Vickers and Alex Laing in the starting line-up.

Lewes saw plenty of the ball early on and came close to taking the lead with their first opportunity of the game, as Street sent a low effort just wide from 25 yards out.

The game was turned on its head after just 12 minutes though, as Lewes centre-back Afolabi Coker was shown a straight red card for bringing down Ashley Jones when he was last man after Jones had charged down his attempted clearance.

Although contact was minimal, referee Matthew Lee had little choice but to dismiss Coker with Jones bearing down on goal before he was fouled.

From the resulting free-kick right on the edge of the area, Darren Boswell sent a powerful effort past Chris Winterton and into the bottom corner to give the hosts the lead.

The Rooks looked to regroup by bringing James Hammond on into midfield, and were soon enjoying their fair share of possession again.

Despite this, Lewes were finding it difficult to stretch the Horsham back four, with a long-range effort from Lloyd Dawes that was straight at Josh Pelling in the host’s goal being the closest the Rooks came to finding an equaliser during the first half.

Horsham doubled their lead ten minutes before half-time, as former Lewes striker Terry Dodd volleyed a Boswell cross past Winterton from close range and into the bottom corner.

The hosts increased their lead further after 58 minutes, with Boswell cutting in from the left and sending a superb curling effort across Winterton and into the top corner.

There were very few chances for either side during the remainder of the game, as Lewes began to show the effects of playing with only ten men for the majority of the game, while Horsham were understandably happy to preserve their lead and look to keep their first clean sheet of the season.

Horsham: Pelling, Duncan, Hyde, Branford, Jones, Farmer, Lawley (Sackman 86), Carney, Dodd (Gill 50), McDevitt, Boswell (Whitehead 62).

Unused Subs: Andrade, Ender.

Booked: Whitehead.

Lewes: Winterton, Brinkhurst, George, Dixon, Coker, Malins, Jones (Laing 56), Cotton, Dawes, Street (Hammond 17) (Sow 62), Coppola.

Unused Subs: Vickers, Kealy.

Booked: Jones, Coppola.

Sent off: Coker.

Referee: Matthew Lee

Attendance: 424