Faversham Town 5 Lewes 0

Faversham Town 5 - 0 Lewes
10 Sep 2016 - 15:00Shepherd Neame Stadium

Lewes suffered their biggest defeat under Darren Freeman as they conceded five without reply at Faversham Town, reports Stuart Fuller.

Freeman looked to put the disappointment of Wednesday’s cup defeat at Sevenoaks Town, making a number of changes to the squad, with new signings Duncan Culley and Trevor McCreadie forming a new partnership up front, whilst Afolabi Coker returned from suspension and Josh Street and Gus Sow were added to the squad after being cup-tied on Wednesday.

After both sides cancelled out each other in the opening exchanges, Faversham took full advantage of a lapse in concentration at the back when Tenyue’s cross found its way to Dean Grant who controlled the ball unchallenged and struck the ball home to open the scoring after just ten minutes.

Faversham continued to push forward and the lively Kieron Campbell would have doubled their lead had Winterton not been on top form.  Alas, that confidence disappeared in the 25th minute when a quick move started by Dean Grant saw Liam King connect with Bewick’s cross and he slide the ball home.

Despite making a tactical substitution in replacing Brotherton with Josh Street, The Rooks found themselves three goals behind just before half-time when a poor clearance was picked up by Monger who fed Grant and he lifted the ball over the on-rushing Winterton and into the net.

Despite a bright start to the second half where The Rooks looked like they had found their attacking boots, Faversham grabbed a fourth goal on the break when Grant completed his hatrick after smashing the ball home after being fed by Bewick.

Lewes tried to grab some consolation with Culley and McCreadie coming close to getting on the end of low crosses into the area although former Rooks keeper Godmon was rarely troubled.  Four became five with 15 minutes to go, although the goal shouldn’t have been awarded after Campbell had let the ball run out of play before crossing for Bewick to strike the ball home from the far post.

The final drama saw both teams react to a late challenge by Lloyd Cotton in front of the dugouts that saw the Lewes captain yellow carded.

This was a very poor performance by The Rooks, one that the twenty or so Lewes fans will want to forget very quickly.

Darren Freeman now has a week to get the team back into shape before the visit of Carshalton Athletic next Saturday at The Pan.

Lewes: Winterton, Brinkhurst, Coker, Vickers (Sow – 46 mins), Malins, Freeman, Laing, Cotton, Culley, McCreadie, Brotherton (Street – 37 mins)

Subs not used: Conlon, Coppola, Dramis

Bookings: Vickers, Cotton

Attendance: 201