Chatham Town 0 Lewes 0

Chatham Town 0 - 0 Lewes
22 Apr 2017 - 15:00Maidstone Road

Lewes ended their season with a draw after a game of few chances at already-relegated Chatham Town reports Tom Harper.

Darren Freeman made three changes to the side that had drawn 4-4 with Hastings in their previous game, with Adria Munoz-Fernandez, Matthew Hurley and Stephen Okoh replacing Chris Winterton, James Hammond and Ronnie Conlon in the starting line-up.

There were no chances of note during an uneventful first half, with the dry, bobbly pitch preventing either side from playing the ball on the ground in midfield, and both defences dealing comfortably with any long balls forward.

The only half-chance fell to Lewes just before the break, as Jack Dixon headed a long throw from Lloyd Harrington wide at the near post.

The Rooks made a brighter start to the second half and came close to taking the lead when Stephen Okoh was beaten to a loose ball in front of goal by covering defender Reece Butler after Chatham goalkeeper Louis Lawlor had fumbled a low Dixon effort.

Chatham posed an occasional threat going forward themselves during the opening stages of the half, and saw Ricky Gundry send an effort wide of the far post with only Munoz-Fernandez to beat after latching onto a long ball forward.

Lewes enjoyed arguably their best spell of the game with about 20 minutes remaining, as Jonte Smith shot straight at Lawlor after an incisive passing move in midfield.

They came even closer to taking the lead minutes later when Dixon saw an effort from a tight angle come back off the inside of the far post and somehow end up going behind for a goal-kick past the other post.

Chatham finished the game strongly and saw Monz-Fernandez hold onto a scuffed effort from Justin Ascheri, before making a smart save at his near post to keep out a powerful close-range effort.

Despite their best efforts, the Rooks were unable to create any clear-cut opportunities during the closing stages and had to settle for a point to end the season.

Darren disappointed was clear in his post-match interview with Barry Collins.

Chatham Town: Lawlor, Rogers (Acland 79), Butler, Gibson, Difford, Benner, Bray, Foster, Gundry (Stace 80), Ascheri, Batula (Allen 79).

Unused Subs: Webb, Edwards.

Booked: Batula.

Lewes: Munoz-Fernandez, Reed, George, Harrington, Hurley (McCarthy 46), Malins, Okoh (Hammond 66), Sow, Smith, Dixon, Brotherton (Landais 58).

Unused Subs: Bown, Stewart-Hunter.

Booked: Reed.

Attendance: 143